Saturday, December 18, 2010

Like a Walk in the Park

Week one of radiation was kind of like a walk in the park when it's raining. There were definitely things I didn't like about it (the headaches, the struggle to strengthen my arm and hand), but at the same time I love what I'm doing. These daily struggles (fighting cancer cells, working my butt off to get better) help me to think about the good things in life, and sometimes it's true that the bad comes with the good. I love to go for walks, but not when it's raining, but I love the smell and feel of rain. So, I weighed the odds of walking in the park through the rain, or staying home, and discovered that getting wet isn't so bad when walking will ultimately make me feel better.

It didn't take me much time to come to terms with what I had to do, and what I'm speaking of is radiation treatment and chemotherapy of course. So, I put on my coat, broke out an umbrella (even though I don't like the awkwardness of carrying one), and stepped out into the rain. When life confronts me with choices, I prefer to make the aggressive choice. I know some people who prefer to stay as far away from the rain as possible, but I think they're missing out on the beauty of a nice brisk walk, a chance to take life head on (excuse the appropriate, yet awful pun, in my case).

Anyway, that was just an analogical musing which hopefully helped to describe why I'm putting myself through this crap. On a more literal note, here's mostly how I spent the past week: getting radiation (not too fun, but interesting), doing occupational therapy activities (fun, yet frustrating), chillin' with my brother (thanks by the way... I know I already said that, but I enjoyed your company), writing and drawing (fun and therapeutic), and sleeping (sort of... hotel beds aren't my favorite). I met with the radiation oncologist yesterday and explained that I was having pretty bad headaches, so he put me on Decadron (a steroid) to help alleviate some pressure in my brain. Unfortunately, as most people know, a side-effect of steroids is hunger, which I'm apparently quite sensitive to since I had two full dinners last night. I also met with a new (and by new I not only mean new to me, but also fresh out of school - as in graduated a couple weeks ago) Occupational Therapist who will be working with me to refine my daily activities to hopefully give my muscles and brain the best chance at recovery. So, hopefully she will let me help her out a bit based me literally having more experience in neuro rehab than she. Other than that, the week was relatively uneventful, like a walk in the park.

Wishing you all the best!

-TheCancerousOT

2 comments:

  1. You and Clancy with the steroids--I think I'd rather put up with your whining than her barking for food. I hope it's helping? If nothing else, maybe you can put back some of the weight chemo has taken off of you. Post pictures of some of your drawings if you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. Anytime, hermano.

    ReplyDelete