Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Second Round of Radiation - Bring it on!

When I learned about proton beam therapy, I knew it was the best treatment I could choose. A 90 ton machine that fills a three story tall room, perfectly balanced so that a person could move it with a finger... how has technology come this far? I traveled three hours from Cincinnati to come here (most people come from much further away), and I met a doctor that told me there was a 20% chance that he could "cure" my cancer. Though this term sounds misleading (as we all know there technically is no cure), I knew his passion and his complete commitment to provide the best treatment available were enough to convince me that this will work.

So, today when I walked into the treatment room knowing that for the first time the radiation was going to hit my brain, I felt comfortable. Some people are surprised by my "strength" and inspired by my attitude, but I always say "what choice do I have?" I want people to know that this disease is not a death sentence. It's an opportunity to show people that true strength comes from within, and that there is always hope and a reason to keep going. My life might literally be shortened by this disease, but what I leave behind in what I teach people about attitude and perseverance will live forever. I don't know yet if I'll fall into that 20% category that this treatment will completely kill the cancer, but I don't need to know nor do I worry about it. At some point we all eventually die, but our actions live forever.

I hope that I'm not just doing this in search of a cure. Yes, it would be nice if it works and I continue to live a much longer life than previously expected, but I hope that people will treat this as a learning experience. I hope that everyone touched by my life will get something from me.

My favorite quote: "attitude is everything, so pick a good one!" Please think about this when you start to worry about little things like cancer.

2 comments:

  1. Exactly, why worry about a little thing like cancer. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. we all can and are learning so much from you, Matt. Your perspective on all of this is inspiring and influential, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete