Friday, February 18, 2011

Update to "Some thoughts about meeting a new cancer patient"

My good friend who recently began her battle with breast cancer shared this poem with me. This feeling often translates to things beyond cancer, particularly when someone receives recent "emotionally tasking" news. I think that we seem to be on the same page about how we often feel. Here it is:

A friend of mine passed away this morning...I wrote this today.
Don't tell me that you understand and don't tell me that you know how I feel.
Don't tell me that I will survive and to look for the light because right now all I see is night.
Don't tell me this is just a test and that I am strong and will persevere. Inside I feel weak and I am hiding from the fear.
Don't tell me that I am chosen for this task apart from all the rest because I am the strongest or the best.
Don't come at me with answers that I know can only come from me.
Don't tell me how my sadness will pass and that one day soon this will be a distant memory.
Don't stand in judgment of how I handle this pain.
Don't tell me how to suffer and don't tell me how to cry.
I need you and I need your love, unconditionally.
Accept me in my ups and downs and know that sometimes I just need you to be silent and let me be.
I need you to hold my hand and let me cry. I need to hear you say I love you and no matter what I'm on your side.

I think the last few lines really hone in on what's most important, that you (the "outsider") want to say you "understand", that you feel like you need to do something, and often it is best to just close your mouth and open your ears. We love to receive your support, we know that you care, but often it is best just for you to be there.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard that this friend of yours who wrote the poem is stunningly gorgeous as well....lol

    ReplyDelete