Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Optimistic

Eight weeks have gone and passed;
I wasn't sure if I would last.
But the time has come to raise the mast,
Sail along and continue this blast
Of a ride my life has been.
I believe that news will be great,
But a few months I have to wait,
And during that time I appreciate
The value of patience and an optimistic state
Of mind.
I cannot fall behind
I remind
Myself to find
All the beauty in this seemingly cruel world
Into which we've all been hurled.
Like a flag coming unfurled,
My heart becomes twirled
With thankfulness and gratitude
That I have a positive attitude
And that I'll travel to any latitude
To keep on being that dude.
This radiation treatment is coming to an end,
It made my body contort and bend.
A painful round each day would send,
But I was greeted each day with a smile from a friend.
The people I met who have taken care of me,
Who have always seemed to want to be
There doing their best to make us tumor free...
I will leave here optimistically.

That was kind of a tough rhyme to throw together, but I've been inspired by you, by everyone who has shown support for my family and for me. For awhile I truly couldn't figure out what I was putting myself through this for, but I think I did it to set an example for others. There is always hope. Every choice you make is important and should be with good intent. I am the t-shirt guy who likes to bring humor each day to treatment, and I think one of my sweatshirts may have upset some patients, "my cancer is rarer than your cancer." I wasn't thinking when I wore that one, except about myself and receiving attention, and I apologize to the patients who may have been upset by it. My goal is to approach living with cancer with humor, optimism, and yes indeed sarcasm (that is part of who I am). I look forward to many many more years of accidental distaste, but I hope to fail miserably in that department and continue to teach optimism, patience, how to laugh in despair, and to never give up.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.6

1 comment:

  1. WooHoo Matt - YOU MADE IT!! And we are both still alive and well!! You are sooooo awesome! Love you!

    ReplyDelete